Striking up a partnership with their local M&S superstore – a commendable achievement in itself for a branch of just 30 members – the branch raised a staggering £16,000 in just six months through tombola stalls, bag packing and social events.
Chairwoman Muriel Dunnigan and her team took part in the 2011 crew training appeal for New Brighton Lifeboat Station, who are based on the Mersey and launched 42 times last year.
With the target reached for the training appeal, the branch put their boundless enthusiasm and dedication to further good use and raised an extra £18,000, which will fund new lifejackets for various lifeboat stations across the North West. Lifejackets are essential kit for RNLI crew members who know that, whatever the weather, the sea is extremely unpredictable and can turn at a moment’s notice.
Muriel, who joined the RNLI as a volunteer in 2009, said: ‘I’m very proud of our volunteer crews, but equally I’m very proud of our loyal supporters, who turn out in all sorts of weather to collect money for the RNLI.’
James Vaughan, Fundraising and Communications Director at the RNLI, added: ‘The RNLI is made up of over 900 fundraising branches and guilds throughout the UK and Ireland, and we are priveleged to have such hard working and determined volunteers, who come from all walks of life but are united by one common cause. Muriel and her branch are an inspiration to us all – without individuals like them, our volunteer crews wouldn’t be able to save lives at sea.’
The award will be presented at the RNLI’s annual awards ceremony at the Barbican Centre in London on 23 May, 2013.
Notes to editors
• The RNLI’s annual presentation of awards takes place at the Barbican Centre in London on 23 May. Medals for gallantry are presented to crew, volunteers and lifeguards. Fundraisers and corporate partners are also recognised for their contribution to the charity.
• Other recipients of RNLI Supporter Awards will feature on RNLI social media channels in the coming weeks, and will use the hashtag #ProudOfOurCrowd.
• A film about the Warrington branch will be available following the RNLI's annual presentation of awards. This will be available on the News Centre and on RNLI social media channels.
For further information, please contact:
• Lauren Hockey, Public Relations Officer, on 01202 336194 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Clare Hopps, Press Officer (North), on 07824 518641 or by email at email@example.com